Thursday, February 24, 2011

Andretti Autosport Mazda Road to Indy Week - Sage Karam

Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Week – A series of interviews with the young and upcoming drivers in the Andretti Autosport stable.


As part of a preview to the 2011 season, www.IndyCarGarage.com will feature a three part series on the Andretti Autosport Road to Indy drivers. Zach Veach, Spencer Pigot, and Sage Karam all will compete in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system this season and all currently driver for Andretti Autosport. All three drivers have been or will be guest on IndyCar Garage Weekly, be sure to check out the podcasts of their interview as well. Third in the series is Sage Karam

IndyCar Garage – 5 Questions with Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Drivers


Driver: Sage Karam, #88 Team Comfort Revolution
Series: Star Mazda
Sponsors: Comfort Revolution, The Michael Fux Foundation, Operation Smile
Interviewed on IndyCar Garage Weekly: February 23rd – Link to podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/indycargarage-weekly-


Question # 1 – Explain your path of how you got started in motorsports and found the world of IndyCar

I started out in karting, like lots of other drivers, at the age of four. I practiced on the land near my house and eventually was old enough to compete in actual races. I was hooked! I raced in the Stars of Karting and WKA and eventually had a lot of wins under my belt. I also started racing with Skip Barber and gained a ton of experience.

I actually grew up living near Michael Andretti and he was always a racing hero of mine. He has been my mentor for as long as I can remember, so it was such an honor when I got the opportunity to drive for his team in the USF2000 series. I really worked hard to make him and the rest of the team proud last season. They gave me a great crew and resources to work with. I’m grateful that I’m able to move up the Mazda Road to Indy ladder this year to the Star Mazda series with Andretti Autosport.

Question #2 – Describe to the fans your feelings on a race day and what it’s actually like when the green flag drops and the race begins.

No matter how many races I’ve competed in, race day is always exciting. I’m always anxious to get in the car and get started. I really try to stay focused on the task that day, instead of getting ahead of myself. There’s nothing like seeing the checkered flag and knowing you put everything into the race, and seeing your efforts rewarded with a win.

Question # 3 - What driver have you looked up to throughout your career and why?

Definitely Mario and Michael Andretti. They are great role models and mentors for me both on and off the track. They’ve accomplished a lot throughout their racing careers while also doing a lot by giving back to charities.

Question # 4 - What’s your ultimate goal as a young and upcoming driver in the Mazda Road to Indy Series?
My dream is to win the Indianapolis 500, so the Mazda Road to Indy is the perfect place for me to start on that goal. I’m learning a lot along the way so I hope by the time I reach the IZOD IndyCar Series, I have all of the experience and preparation I need to compete at the top level.

Question #5 – What are you most excited about for the 2011 season and why?

I’m looking forward to the 2011 season in Star Mazda because it’s a new challenge for me. It’s a different car and different competitors, so there’s a lot to learn and a lot of new experiences.

No comments: