Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Andretti Autosport Mazda Road to Indy Week - Zach Veach

Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Week – A series of interviews with the young and upcoming drivers in the Andretti Autosport stable.

As part of a preview to the 2011 season, www.IndyCarGarage.com will feature a three part series on the Andretti Autosport Road to Indy drivers. Zach Veach, Spencer Pigot, and Sage Karam will compete in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system this season and all currently drive for Andretti Autosport. All three drivers have been or will be guest on IndyCar Garage Weekly, be sure to check out the podcasts of their interview as well. First in the series is USF2000 driver Zach Veach.
IndyCar Garage – 5 Questions with Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Drivers
Driver: Zach Veach, #7 Team Zakosi Data Backup car
Series: USF2000 National Championship Series
Sponsors: Zakosi Data Backup, Mazda, Cooper Tires, Arai Helmets, OMP, ArtRotondo.com, ADS, Retail Pro

Interviewed on IndyCar Garage Weekly: January 25th – Link to podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/indycargarage-weekly-

Question # 1 – Explain your path of how you got started in motorsports and found the world of IndyCar
When I was 12, I started racing go-karts near my home in Ohio. I started getting serious about driving and quickly moved into the Formula BMW series. I planned on racing in the Atlantics series, but after it folded I was left without a ride. Thankfully I was noticed by Andretti Autosport and before I knew it, I was meeting with Michael Andretti. He gave me the opportunity to race in USF2000 and I spent a lot of last season learning the car and getting used to it. I’ve always wanted to race in the Indy 500, so it’s great to be able to race on the same tracks and courses as the IndyCar drivers. It really sets us up to gain a lot of experience.

Question #2 – Describe to the fans your feelings on a race day and what it’s actually like when the green flag drops and the race begins.
Race day is what we work for during all of the tests and practices, so it’s something I definitely always look forward to. During those warm-up laps on race day, I’m thinking about my preparation and the laps ahead of me. I know what I have to do and don’t worry about what is behind me.

Question # 3 - What driver have you looked up to throughout your career and why?
Michael Andretti! I was speechless when I first met him, and I can’t even describe what an honor it is to be able to drive for him. I look up to Michael because of his racing success and his professionalism. He’s just done so much with his career and I hope one day I can say I’ve done the same.

Question # 4 - What’s your ultimate goal as a young and upcoming driver in the Mazda Road to Indy Series?
I’d have to say that driving in the Indianapolis 500 is definitely a goal for me, along with racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series. The Indy 500 has always been a dream goal for me, so having the chance to race in USF2000 and the Mazda Road to Indy puts me on the right path.

Question #5 – What are you most excited about for the 2011 season and why?
Last year was a steep learning curve for me. The USF2000 car was a lot different than I was used to in the Atlantic car, so I had a lot to learn before I could really race with the leaders. My crew was a huge help and I had the best team behind me the whole time. After winning the Winterfest, I have a lot more experience and confidence going into the 2011 season, and I hope to be up on the podium again!

No comments: