Wednesday, September 17, 2008

10 Questions with Milka Duno


IndyCar Garage’s Tyler Carmichael recently chatted with Dryer and Reinbold’s driver Milka Duno on a variety of topics. Read below to hear what she had to say.

Tell us about yourself, what do you enjoy outside of racing?


I really don’t have a lot of free time available outside of my racing responsibilities, but when I do, I love to visit the beach. I like to give back by visiting schools, Children’s hospitals; I often serve as a guest speaker and talk to young people.


What has been the biggest adjustment on and off the track you've had to make this season?


This year has been a challenge with adjusting to my new team. Everything was new and we are still a very small team. The year has gotten better as I have started to learn from Dryer & Reinbold racing. The condition of my team has continued to get better as the season went on.


What track on the IndyCar Series schedule do you enjoy racing the most?


Indianapolis is always a fun place to visit and my personal favorite. I have enjoyed making a lot of memories at Indy.


This has been a year of first's for you with your debut at The Glen and Kentucky Speedway. How was your first road course experience in an IndyCar at the Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen, then followed by Mid-Ohio? Do you prefer ovals to road courses, or vice versa?


The road courses have been a challenge because I am still adjusting to the track and we didn’t have a strong car. Practice was hard because I was still adjusting to the track. When you don’t know the track very well, it’s hard to adjust.


You have made 11 of 11 scheduled starts this year and have proven to be faster on the track. What has your success been attributed to and what does the future hold for Dreyer and Reinbold Racing next season?


My team has continued to work very hard throughout the year. Our idea is to continue racing Indy Cars and build on our team each year. Robbie Buhl has been a big help as a driver coach and friend. Our engineers work hard week in and week out. It’s great to have so much support.


You are the highest finishing female driver at the 24 hours of Daytona, what does it mean to you to hold a record like this at such a prestigious track?


It’s nice to have a record, but I want to win more races. I want to win a championship. I want to be a part of history.


Obviously, the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Indianapolis 500 are two completely different races. You have competed in both, can you describe your experience racing at Daytona and how it compares to running at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?


Daytona is so much different because you have to take care of the car for long period of time. Each driver drives the car differently so adjusting to the car after someone drives it is very tough.


Tell us about your first roll in a major motion picture as Kellie "Gearbox" in the Warner Bros. Speed Racer. Any chance for more acting in the off season?


It was great to be a part of something like Speed Racer. The opportunity presented itself and it was a great honor to be in a movie. I am open to all possibilities.

If you could spend a day at any track with any driver (past or present), what track and what driver would you choose?

Robbie Buhl has been working with me as a driver coach and any time that I am around him I learn something different. I would love to spend another day at Indianapolis with Robbie continue to learn more about the track and how special it is.


We had the pleasure of speaking with you briefly after the Kentucky race. It was apparent you were more than happy to visit with your fans and showed that by staying long after the race was over. We appreciated your time then and now by completing this interview. Do you have any last comments for the dedicated fans of Indycargarage.com?


Thank you for all your support and dedication. It’s very motivating to see all the fans and their support.

No comments: